Svelte value not reactive

Viewed 67

I've a variable styles in the Svelte store that I would like to update:

export const styles = writable();

Now in my mainframe.svelte file, I've an EventListener that listens to a click and updates the store value as follow:

document.addEventListener("click", (e) => {
    styles.update(() => getComputedStyle(e.target));
});

And in my spacing.svelte file, I want to console.log when the value changes, but it's not at all updating and stuck at undefined:

$: console.log(get(styles));

Now if I use setInterval then it is working and updating the values as per clicks, so it's definitely not the code but the problem is with reactivity itself:

setInterval(() => {
  console.log(get(styles));
}, 1000);

What am I doing wrong here? Why the value is not changing automatically on clicks but setInterval seems to work?

1 Answers

This is not working because of how reactivity works. In your code $: console.log(get(styles)); you have the following parts:

$: this marks the line as reactive, it will run again when any variable (or function) used on that line changes. console.log, this never changes get, this is a helper function from the stores, it never changes styles, this is the store it never changes (the value does, but not the store itself)

conclusion: this line is run once and then never again.

the solution is simple, instead of doing get which is used to get the current value of a store once (and usually only used in script files where reactivity doesn't work), you can simply use the value itself:

$: console.log($styles);
Related