Lo4j2 Logger generates empty file

Viewed 42

I am having trouble in making this simple log4j2 sample program work

log42.properties

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Configuration status="DEBUG">
   <Appenders>
       <File name="LogToFile" fileName="logs/app.log">
           <PatternLayout>
               <Pattern>%d %p %c{1.} [%t] %m%n</Pattern>
           </PatternLayout>
       </File>
   </Appenders>
   <Loggers>
       <Logger name="com.myapp" level="debug" additivity="false">
           <AppenderRef ref="LogToFile"/>
       </Logger>

        <!--<Root level="debug">
          <AppenderRef ref="LogToFile"/>            
       </Root> -->
   </Loggers>
</Configuration>

Java code

package com.lab;

import org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager;
import org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger;

public class HelloWorld {

    private static final Logger logger = LogManager.getLogger(HelloWorld.class);

    public static void main(String[] args) {

        logger.debug("Hello from Log4j 2");
        logger.info("Hello from Log4j 2");
        logger.error("Hello from Log4j 2");
    }


}

pom

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 https://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>test</groupId>
    <artifactId>test.log4j2</artifactId>


    <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <properties>
        <project.build.sourceEncoding>UTF-8</project.build.sourceEncoding>
        <java.version>1.8</java.version>
        <log4j.version>2.18.0</log4j.version>
        <disruptor.version>3.4.2</disruptor.version>
        <maven.compiler.source>1.8</maven.compiler.source>
        <maven.compiler.target>1.8</maven.compiler.target>
    </properties>

    <dependencies>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.logging.log4j</groupId>
            <artifactId>log4j-api</artifactId>
            <version>${log4j.version}</version>
        </dependency>

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.logging.log4j</groupId>
            <artifactId>log4j-core</artifactId>
            <version>${log4j.version}</version>
        </dependency>

    </dependencies>
    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
                <artifactId>maven-jar-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>2.4</version>
                <configuration>
                    <archive>
                        <manifest>
                            <mainClass>com.lab.HelloWorld</mainClass>
                        </manifest>
                    </archive>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>

</project>

It creates the app.log file, but it is empty. If I uncomment <Root> logger it writes log in the file. But the <logger> will not. What I am doing wrong? I referred lots of sample programs(and Apache documentation) but I am not able to understand why this is not working :`(

0 Answers
Related