GitLab: Option to create branch from the issue is missing

Viewed 49

I am trying to create a branch linked from an issue on GitLab. The option to create a branch from the issue however is missing on this particular project. I have an access level of Maintainer on this project.

The current project I'm working on:

enter image description here

I have checked the other project I made a few months back on which I have exactly the same access level, the option that I'm looking for is there.

My previous project (This is a different project btw, not the source of the fork)

enter image description here

The difference being is that the current project I am working on is a forked version of the old repo so I could keep historical branches from the previous version of the project. I also imported the issues from the previous repo to the new one. I tried to create a new test issue but I still can't see the menu.

It seems like I configured something wrong, could you please help me identify why I cannot access this menu? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Answers

Check first if this is similar to issue 39778 which refers to issue

I disable the button for projects which are forked.

The context in when it references (from a fork) issue from the original project.
No "Create merge request" in that case.

After some digging, I found that this may be a current known issue on GitLab. It only happens on forked projects similar to @VonC's answer. However it doesn't show how to resolve the issue.

To resolve the issue you have to remove the project's fork relationship found on the Settings > General > Advance. If you forked the repo from another project, you should see the Remove fork relationship button there. This essentially removes the fork relationship of the project from the original repository. Once done, the Create merge request should pop-up immediately upon refreshing the page. Do note you need an Owner access to see the Remove fork relationship option.

For more details, please refer to this issue and this solution was from here.

Related