Visual Studio 2022 Access is Denied when adding the certificate to the Trusted Root Certificates store

Viewed 276

I recently changed my IDE from VS 2019 to 2022 and I have not been able to successfully debug an SSL web site without receiving the popup message:

This project is configured to use SSL. To avoid SSL warnings in the browser you can choose to trust the self-signed certificate that IIS Express has generated. Would you like to trust the IIS Express SSL certificate?

After clicking Yes, the following message pops up:

Adding the certificate to the Trusted Root Certificates store failed with the following error: Access is denied.

After doing some research I ran the following command in an administrative prompt:

dotnet dev-certs https --clean

dotnet dev-certs https --trust -v

This resulted in the following:

An error has occurred while trusting the certificate: Internal.Cryptography.CryptoThrowHelper+WindowsCryptographicException: Access is denied. at Internal.Cryptography.Pal.StorePal.Add(ICertificatePal certificate) at System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Store.Add(X509Certificate2 certificate) at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Certificates.Generation.WindowsCertificateManager.TrustCertificateCore(X509Certificate2 certificate) at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Certificates.Generation.CertificateManager.TrustCertificate(X509Certificate2 certificate). There was an error trusting HTTPS developer certificate.

So far, I have tried importing the localhost certificate directly into the Trusted Root Certification Authorities, changing permission on the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder, uninstalling IIS Express and repairing, and uninstalling and reinstalling VS 2022. So far nothing has worked, not sure what to try from here?

0 Answers
Related