I am coding an offline, battery-powered esp32 to take periodic sensor readings and store them until a hotspot is found, in which it connects and pushes the data elsewhere. I am relatively new to esp32 and ask for suggestions on the best way to do this.
I was thinking of storing the reading and DateTime in SPIFFS memory and running a webserver that starts when a network is found, checking every minute or so. Since it is battery-powered, I would also like to deep sleep the board to save power. Does the setup() function run again when the board comes out of deep sleep or would I need to have my connectToWiFi function inside the loop?
Is this viable? And are there any better routes to take? I've seen things on asynchronous servers and using the esp32 as an access point that could maybe work. Is it best to download the file through a web server or send the file line by line through a free online database?