How can I prevent the slash ("/") key from opening Firefox's "Quick Find" feature in my Flutter app?

Viewed 30

Background

In my Flutter application, I am using the LogicalKeyboardKey.slash key as a shortcut for a division operation.

When deployed to the web, in Chrome this is not an issue and works fine. The issue is specifically with Firefox.

The Issue

When the user presses / in Firefox, while the division operation still triggers, Firefox also opens its "Quick Find" accessibility feature. After this happens, the cursor and focus shift to the "Quick Find" text input box.

This creates the UX issue where subsequent key presses add text to the "Quick Find" input box instead of what held the focus in my Flutter app before "Quick Find" opened.

Question

How can I programmatically, in Flutter/Dart, keep the LogicalKeyboardKey.slash key from opening Firefox's "Quick Find" feature?

Notes

It is a business requirement that this key trigger this operation, so I cannot use another key as an alternative.

The app is also public facing, so it would be unrealistic to ask all users to disable "Quick Find" manually if they are using Firefox, unless it were a label in the app itself. (This should be avoided, unless totally necessary.)

0 Answers
Related