How do I convince Splunk that a backslash inside a CSV field is not an escape character?

Viewed 207

I have the following row in a CSV file that I am ingesting into a Splunk index:

"field1","field2","field3\","field4"

Excel and the default Python CSV reader both correctly parse that as 4 separate fields. Splunk does not. It seems to be treating the backslash as an escape character and interpreting field3","field4 as a single mangled field. It is my understanding that the standard escape character for double quotes inside a quoted CSV field is another double quote, according to RFC-4180:

"If double-quotes are used to enclose fields, then a double-quote appearing inside a field must be escaped by preceding it with another double quote."

Why is Splunk treating the backslash as an escape character, and is there any way to change that configuration via props.conf or any other way? I have set:

INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = csv
KV_MODE = none

for this sourcetype in props.conf, and it is working fine for rows without backslashes in them.

0 Answers
Related