So recently I had to use ffmpeg to make a video go from H.265 to H.264 to make it more web compliant.
The file size went from 4.32 MB to 10.32 MB.
In my head we have a video that is done in H.265. H.264 is of course worse and there has already been a run of H.265, so it will barely be able to do something. This is where I imagine it would go from 4.32 MB -> 4.12 MB. However it does not, it rather doubles in size.
Analogy: Let's say you have a professional painter (H.265) that does a painting. Then his older brother (H.264) who is not as good paints over with a little bit of their details. The artwork will now look worse, but at the same time it will cost less.
Have I completely misunderstood how codecs work? Can you "revert" back to a former codec, then resulting in a bigger file size?