I have an application that accepts TCP traffic (not HTTP) and I'd like the ability to have the traffic load balanced to it. However, one requirement is that when a client makes a connection, we do not close that connection under any circumstances (ideally) since we are dealing with some clients with older technology.
I've set up the kubernetes nginx ingress controller, but it isn't behaving how I'm hoping/expecting. What I would like is: If the connection to one of the upstream servers closes, then the client connection remains open for some amount of time while nginx picks a new upstream server and starts sending data to it. I am not concerned about the stream's data being split across different upstream servers, I just need the connection to stay open from the client's perspective during something like a redeploy.
What is actually happening is that from my client's perspective, currently when the upstream server app closes the connection, my connection is closed and I have to reconnect.
The ingress controller has this configuration, which I thought would accomplish what I want, but it doesn't seem to be working as expected:
server {
preread_by_lua_block {
ngx.var.proxy_upstream_name="tcp-my-namespace-my-service-7550";
}
listen 7550;
proxy_timeout 600s;
proxy_next_upstream on;
proxy_next_upstream_timeout 600s;
proxy_next_upstream_tries 3;
proxy_pass upstream_balancer;
}
Any help at all is greatly appreciated and I'm happy to provide more info.