Simple function suddenly throws "An unknown error has occurred, please try again later"

Viewed 274

Since today morning, I am getting the below message while trying to run new App scripts on a new Google sheet.

Error An unknown error has occurred, please try again later.

My other App scripts attached to existing Google sheets continue to run fine. But if I create a new sheet and add even a plain simple function as shown below and try to execute this, I get the above error after it attempts to run it for some time and then gives up.

function Mytest()
{

}

I suspect that it is not able to bring the permission box which it use to bring up for any new script created. Till yesterday, once the permissions dialog box comes up and I used to give the permissions, the scripts use to run fine. But today it is not even bringing up the permission dialog box.

3 Answers

It looks like there is a outage going on with Google Apps Script when running new projects. I can see a couple of people reporting it in Google's public issue tracker.

It looks like it is only affecting new projects but most old projects are running fine. In the meantime you can add more info to the report to bring more attention to it. I have made some tests in 4 different accounts from different organizations and I can confirm I am also affected by this.


A couple users are reporting that it started to fix itself, and it looks like clearing cache and cookies from the browser may solve the issue (this is not a definitive solution but may work for you).

I was having the same issue. Adding the script ID to the Library seemed to fix it.

Go to the "settings" option in the left menu of the script editor and copy the script id. Then click the plus icon next to the "Library" option and click "look up". Once the script is found, click "add" and run the script.

Only happens with Apps Script-managed Google Cloud Platform projects. Seems okay if you manually set the GCP project with the id using Resources > Cloud Platform Project...

I tried this because mine started with this error:

We're sorry, there was an unexpected error while creating the Cloud Platform project. Error code DEADLINE_EXCEEDED

Related