I am working on a Named Entity Recognition (NER) project in which I got a large amount of text in the sense that it is too much to read or skim read. Therefore, I want to create an overview of what is mentioned by extracting named entities (places, names, times, maybe topics) and create an index of kind (entity, list of pages/lines where it is mentioned). I have worked through Standford's NLP lecture, (parts of) Eisenstein's Introduction to NLP book found some literature and systems for English texts. As my corpus is in German, I would like to ask how I can approach this problem. Also, this is my first NLP project, so I would not know if I could solve this challenge even if texts were in English.
As a first step
- are there German NER systems out there which I could use?
The further roadmap of my project is:
- How can I avoid mapping misspellings or rare names to a
NUL/UNKtoken? This is relevant because there are also some historic passages that use words no longer in use or that follow old orthography. I think the relevant terms are tokenisation or stemming. - I thought about fine-tuning or transfer learning the base NER model to a corpus of historic texts to improve NER.
A major challenge is that there is no annotated dataset for my corpus available and I could only manually annotate a tiny fraction of it. So I would be happy for hints on German annotated datasets which I could incorporate into my project.
Thank you in advance for your inputs and fruitful discussions.