I have a case where i am trying to write some results using dataframe write into S3 using the below query with input_table_1 size is 13 Gb and input_table_2 as 1 Mb
input_table_1 has columns account, membership and input_table_2 has columns role, id , membership_id, quantity, start_date
SELECT
/*+ BROADCASTJOIN(input_table_2) */
account,
role,
id,
quantity,
cast(start_date AS string) AS start_date
FROM
input_table_1
INNER JOIN
input_table_2
ON array_contains(input_table_1.membership, input_table_2.membership_id)
where membership array contains list of member_ids
This dataset write using Spark dataframe is generating around 1.1TiB of data in S3 with around 700 billion records.
We identified that there are duplicates and used dataframe.distinct.write.parquet("s3path") to remove the duplicates . The record count is reduced to almost 1/3rd of the previous total count with around 200 billion rows but we observed that the output size in S3 is now 17.2 TiB .
I am very confused how this can happen.
I have used the following spark conf settings
spark.sql.shuffle.partitions=20000
I have tried to do a coalesce and write to s3 but it did not work.
Please suggest if this is expected and when can be done ?