How to disable Istio request log communication between services on GKE?

Viewed 75

I've just set up a GKE Cluster with Anthos service mesh enabled. I've noticed that every communication between services is registered on GCP's log ingestion system as I see them in Logs Dashboard. Something like this:

enter image description here

I couldn't find anywhere how to disable this log as it's not really usefull for me and I will also be charged for it's ingestion.

1 Answers

logging may incur additional costs to use, especially with a large volume of data coming from your mesh. If you would like to disable this feature without disabling the Google Cloud's operations suite APIs entirely for your project, update your Istio on GKE configuration as follows.

To disable Cloud Logging for Istio on GKE:

1.Open the stackdriver-log rule for editing:

kubectl edit -n istio-system rule stackdriver-log

2.Replace the match condition (context.protocol == "http" || context.protocol == "grpc") && (context.reporter.kind | "inbound" == "inbound") with "false".

3.Save and close the rule.

4.Open the stackdriver-log-tcp rule.

kubectl edit -n istio-system rule stackdriver-log-tcp

5.Replace the match condition (context.protocol == "tcp") && (context.reporter.kind | "inbound" == "inbound") with "false".

6.Save and close the rule.

Refer this link for more information

Related