I am using Stata on a Mac. I updated the OS to Monterey today. If I try to open a .dta file---that is saved on my local computer in a folder that syncs to OneDrive---from code in the Do File Editor/Command prompt (where I refer to the file using its full file path), it doesn't open. The error is r(601) - File ... cannot be found.
But if I click on it in Finder, it opens in Stata just fine. After I have done this, I can then open this file in Stata by running the exact same Stata code that didn't work before. Somehow it seems like Stata can't see the file/folder initially, but then it can. I am not sure if this has to do with the OneDrive file/folder permissions or something else.
If, in Stata, I change the directory to the correct directory using cd and then load the file (without referring to the path), it works. However, I would like to be able to refer to the file using the entire file path and not have to change the directory each time.
Interestingly, if I change the directory to the correct directory using Change working directory in the File drop down and then try to load the file using the file path, it also works. But if I do not do the drop down and write out the cd using code, and try accessing the file using the path it doesn't work!
Somehow Stata has to initially "see"/"access" the correct folder (in a very particular way) before being able to access it with the file path. Very strange. (Just to be clear, if I do not change the directory to the correct directory and then try to load the file using its file path, it doesn't work.)
I also tried creating a file using texdoc init... (in a folder that already exists, but that has not been used by Stata before) and get this error:
could not create directory .....
mkdir(): 693 could not create directory
texdoc_mkdir(): - function returned error
texdoc_init(): - function returned error
<istmt>: - function returned error
I do not get this error if I instead use another folder in the same directory that I have previously used.
I think that the error I am encountering is the same or similar to this one (with no acceptable answer): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/onedrive-folder-doesnt-exist/e6b97d47-3f6a-4863-bf68-d3a02832f2bb