Do I need to care what base Linux image to pick for the containers deployed in AKS?

Viewed 90

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Up to my understanding, advantage of containers is that those don't need to supply the whole OS and they also don't need to execute it (but instead they utilize underlying OS which is provided e.g. by Docker) which leads to the saving of the resources -especially the memory.

My question is: do I need to pay attention when choosing base image for my containers that I plan to deploy in Azure k8s service (AKS) which currently supports Ubuntu 18.04? Should I choose only from those base images that explicitly support Ubuntu 18.04 or can I go for any base Linux image (e.g. Alpine) and all will still work fine once deployed in AKS? I guess that as far as my base image is compliant (same Linux kernel version) with the Linux kernel available in AKS then I should be fine. Is my assumption correct?

1 Answers

Short answer: you can pick any base image that's compatible with whatever is running inside your container.

advantage of containers is that those don't need to supply the whole OS and they also don't need to execute it (but instead they utilize underlying OS which is provided e.g. by Docker)

More precisely, containers do not run their own OS kernel. They do run their own copy of the part of the OS that runs in user space.

Practically speaking, kernel version compatibility is rarely a concern.

Related