Adding MFA on OCI gives "can only be enabled by the user" error

Viewed 101

I have a similar setup as described in the question I can't enable MFA for Oracle Identity Cloud Service user but a different problem: I cannot enable Multi-Factor Authentication for any user.

On the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) console, I do see the "Enable Multi-Factor Authentication" in one of the accounts under Identity >> Users >> User Details. After following all the steps, including scanning the barcode and entering the verification code, when I click the verify button on OCI I get this error: "Multi-factor authentication can only be enabled by the user."

What does this mean? I thought I was the user! I've searched online for this error and looked at documentation, but see no clue.

1 Answers

MFA can only be enabled for Your Own Account.

Tenancy Administrators have no way to enable MFA for other users in OCI but Administrators can disable MFA for other users.

Your Own Account meaning the one which you used for login.

For ex: In below snapshot from OCI, I am trying to enable MFA for other user. I am the Administrator for this tenancy.

OCI MFA Error

Related