Difference between service reference and service dependency

Viewed 31

This is a follow up question to this one:

How to share gRPC proto data between client and server

I got a gRPC service with a proto in a repo. In the same repo (but a different sln) I got an SDK (client) to access this service which is supposed to be published as a nuget. Both service and client are implemented using C# and .NET 6.

What I'm trying to do is have the SDK use the same proto file as defined in the service. The accepted answer to the linked question says I should add a service dependency of the grpc service to the SDK. When tried adding the service, I was prompted with a choice between adding a service dependency or a service reference (OpenAPI, gRPC, WCF).

I'm guessing by the choices that I need to add a reference and not a dependency, but still - what is the difference between them? And am I correct that I need to choose the reference and not the dependency?

0 Answers
Related