WSL with VS Code: Why doesn't VS Code see my WSL installation?

Viewed 113

I have successfully installed Ubuntu with wsl. I then installed VS Code and tried to browse for the directory on Ubuntu that contains a dummy project. It doesn't see WSL/Ubuntu at all but I can open it in Sublime Text. When installing VS Code I wasn't given any option to add to path so I assume there's no issue there. Tried code . in my project directory and that didn't work, just got an error, command not found. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, just don't know what.

Why doesn't VS Code see my WSL installation?

1 Answers

1.) Make sure that you have installed the extension "Remote - WSL" in VSC.

2.) Make sure that the WSL is really installed.

3.) Open VSC and press the green "> <" in the lower left corner.

4.) Then press "New WSL Window using Distro".

5.) Choose your distro, (Ubtuntu, Debian, Kali etc)

6.) If everything worked, you should see "WSL: Debian" in the bottom left corner, or whatever you have chosen

Related