Some Emmet abbreviations in VSC not working, like '!' or using '*'

Viewed 5678

Every other snippet is working, but !+tab is not.

! snippet is not working enter image description here

other snippet is working enter image description here

I am using Visual Studio Code. I'm using 1.69.0. It was working before, but I wanted to add net html file, named that new.html, because I had index.html already. After that this script stopped working on every html file, but other scripts like "a", "div" etc. is working.

8 Answers

The v1.69.2 recovery release is out now. Emmet in html is working as it should for me now.


Looks like it will be in the Recovery Release, see https://github.com/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3Acandidate+repo%3Amicrosoft%2Fvscode+repo%3Amicrosoft%2Fvscode-internalbacklog+repo%3Amicrosoft%2Fvscode-remote-release+milestone%3A%22June+2022+Recovery+2%22+.

Don't know when the recovery release to Stable - presumably v1.69.2 - will be released. The .1 release is out and the fix is not in it.

It has been fixed though, see https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/154375, and should be in the Insiders Build tomorrow (07/13/2022).

Testing the latest Insiders: ! is working. As is ul>li*3 type expansions (although that never stopped working for me - but it has been reported elsewhere). Should be in the v1.69.2 release out soon.


It is a known issue with the v1.69 release, see html emmet suggestion not automatically display or https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/154517 for example. Lots of issues on github on ! and * not working.

So the emmet snippet will not appear automatically when you type !, but you can press Ctrl/Cmd+Space (which is the command Trigger Suggest) to make it appear and select normally.

Try Ctrl/Cmd+Space for anything emmet-related nnnnnot working in vscode v1.69.

You could also go back to v1.68 to solve the issue.

Try to write "doc" instead of "!". "doc" works for me.

You need to check this option or put "emmet.triggerExpansionOnTab": true in settings.json to use the emmet abbreviation pressing TAB. I realized this ones what is not working:

  • !, lorem, >, and . Examples of use: ul>li, li3, ul>li*3

None of them shows the preview of the emmet, and you can't use them pressing TAB without enabling the option that I sayed above, and even checking the option you won't be able to see the previews, you'll need to know them by yourself and press the TAB even though nothing showing that it's a emmet abbreviation.

You can use CTRL + SPACE too.

Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2

VSCODE Version 1.69.0

I had the same issue with the ! not working. I found another shortcut that does the same thing: type html:5, and press enter.

While @Mark's answer works, another work around would be to use the html:5 snippet which still works as expected in v1.69

Yes, I am facing this issue too since the latest update.

Somehow the solution I have got is : You can check the box “Emmet: Use Inline Completions” In settings by typing “emmet” in the setting’s search. You can see the suggestion now and choose it by pressing the tab.

This is the solution I have got till now but hoping that we could have the previous version back.

Related