When I start to search some keywords by / in Vim, the cursor always move to the first match automatically when I input each character.
This behavior confuses me, so What can I do to disable it?
When I start to search some keywords by / in Vim, the cursor always move to the first match automatically when I input each character.
This behavior confuses me, so What can I do to disable it?
You probably have incsearch set on.
You can set it off with :set noincsearch.
(Please, refer to :help 'incsearch' for more details.)
By the way, if I can give a personal suggestion, keep that option turned on.
Searching is a way of moving, but when incsearch is active, it's more versatile than any other movement because it gives you instant feedback of whether you're doing the movement you planned, and requires that you "confirm" the movement by pressing Enter. Just to give an example, see what happens if, with the cursor on (well, right before) the h in the following text and you hit d/i\@<!veEnter
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
This is to say that / allows you to move to arbitrary places in the buffer and, via incsearch, it actually gives you feedback even before you actually commit to the move. Also, before hitting Enter, you can change the search pattern as you like.