c#, server-client desktop application, using http/https ports for communication with high amount of data

Viewed 26

I have been looking around the internet to see what protocols are available for the client/server communication. I'm currently not able to find a durable solution for my problem, maybe looking the wrong places ?

The problem in short is that today I have a desktop C#, WPF application that communicates with a C# server application using WCF and TCP on dedicated ports. However, the use of TCP requires that external users needs to open the specific ports in their companies firewall to be able to use the application. This proves to be a bigger challenge than expected and therefor I'm trying to find if there are other ways to perform the communication.

I looked at websockets and signalr which uses HTTP(S), however I need at protocol that supports large amounts (sometimes 10MB at startup) of data transfer, which they don't seem to do well?

In short:

  • I need a protocol for client/server communication using the HTTP(s) channel and also performing well with larger amount of data.

This might be an impossible mission, due to lack of performance compared to TCP ?

0 Answers
Related