Unable to create any file or folder inside a directory without execute permission

Viewed 50

my terminal output

In the posted screenshot you can see that I've created a directory named 'test' and then removed its execute permission to check if I can create a directory or file inside it without this permission.

But to my surprise, I can't create anything inside this 'test' dir despite having write permissions.

Can anyone explain what could be the reason behind this?

1 Answers

A combination of the letters 'ugoa' controls which users' access to the file will be changed: the user who owns it (u), other users in the file's group (g), other users not in the file's group (o), or all users (a).

So in your case u-x :- you have removed permission for user(yourself as you are one who has created the folder) hence it can not create anything inside test folder.

Related