Azure SQL DB - added size restriction on NVARCHAR column and the size of my DB bloated. Why did this happen?

Viewed 28

I have an Azure SQL DB Table with about 700k records and 9 columns. Most of those columns were initially set to NVARCHAR(max)

I decided to then apply a SQL Script to limit the column size as I felt this should optimize performance. I ran the following queries inside Azure Data Studio (I'm on a mac) against each of the columns:

  ALTER TABLE [MyTable] ALTER COLUMN [ColumnInQuestion1] nvarchar(500) NULL;
  ALTER TABLE [MyTable] ALTER COLUMN [ColumnInQuestion2] nvarchar(500) NULL;
  etc etc...

This query took around 20 mins to complete. However after I looked at my DB, I noticed the size of my DB in Azure increased by almost 30% - from around 1.5GB to just over 1.9GB.

Why did this happen? Does Azure/Data Studio run some kind of a backup for the table during the query execution that it doesn't get rid of afterwards or does limiting column length really increase the DB size?

1 Answers
Related