How to print object's element?

Viewed 62

I have this small program in rust, not in a cargo project.

use std::process::Command;
fn main() {
    let result= Command::new("git").arg("status").output().expect("Ok");
    println!("{:?}", result);
}

but after building and running it I get

Output { status: ExitStatus(unix_wait_status(0)), stdout: "On branch main\nYour branch is up to date with 'origin/main'.\n\nUntracked files:\n  (use \"git add <file>...\" to include in what will be committed)\n\tbasics/guessing_game/\n\tcmdtest\n\tcmdtest.rs\n\nnothing added to commit but untracked files present (use \"git add\" to track)\n", stderr: "" }

If I try:

use std::process::Command;
fn main() {
    let result= Command::new("git").arg("status").output().expect("Ok");
    println!("{:?}", result.stdout);
}

I get

[79, 110, 32, 98, 114, 97, 110, 99, 104, 32, 109, 97, 105, 110, 10, 89, 111, 117, 114, 32, 98, 114, 97, 110, 99, 104, 32, 105, 115, 32, 117, 112, 32, 116, 111, 32, 100, 97, 116, 101, 32, 119, 105, 116, 104, 32, 39, 111, 114, 105, 103, 105, 110, 47, 109, 97, 105, 110, 39, 46, 10, 10, 85, 110, 116, 114, 97, 99, 107, 101, 100, 32, 102, 105, 108, 101, 115, 58, 10, 32, 32, 40, 117, 115, 101, 32, 34, 103, 105, 116, 32, 97, 100, 100, 32, 60, 102, 105, 108, 101, 62, 46, 46, 46, 34, 32, 116, 111, 32, 105, 110, 99, 108, 117, 100, 101, 32, 105, 110, 32, 119...

How can I print the string inside stdout and not numbers, in a user friendly format?

1 Answers

stdout may not be valid unicode, in which case you cannot print it. If you're sure it will be (which is probably the case with git), you can use String::from_utf8().unwrap():

fn main() {
    let result = Command::new("git").arg("status").output().expect("Ok");
    println!("{}", String::from_utf8(result.stdout).unwrap());
}

If you don't know, you can either check the Result from_utf8() returns, or use String::from_utf8_lossy() to turn invalid characters into U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER �:

fn main() {
    let result = Command::new("git").arg("status").output().expect("Ok");
    println!("{}", String::from_utf8_lossy(&result.stdout));
}
Related