I use the Keras model training API and observed differences when training the model with NumPy arrays (x_train and y_train) and with tf.data.Dataset.from_tensor_slices((x_train, y_train)). A minimal working example is shown below:
import numpy as np
import tensorflow as tf
tf.keras.utils.set_random_seed(0)
n_examples, n_dims = (100, 10)
raw_dataset = np.random.randn(n_examples, n_dims)
model = tf.keras.models.Sequential(
[
tf.keras.layers.Dense(
1024, activation="relu", use_bias=True
),
tf.keras.layers.Dense(
1, activation="linear", use_bias=True
),
]
)
model.compile(
optimizer=tf.keras.optimizers.Adam(),
loss="mse",
)
x_train = raw_dataset[:, :-1]
y_train = raw_dataset[:, -1]
dataset = tf.data.Dataset.from_tensor_slices((x_train, y_train))
n_epochs = 10
batch_size = 16
use_dataset = True
if use_dataset:
model.fit(
dataset.batch(batch_size=batch_size),
epochs=n_epochs,
)
else:
model.fit(
x=x_train,
y=y_train,
batch_size=batch_size,
epochs=n_epochs,
)
print("Evaluation:")
model.evaluate(x_train, y_train)
model.evaluate(dataset.batch(batch_size=batch_size))
If I run this code with use_dataset = True, the final performance is:
Evaluation:
4/4 [==============================] - 0s 825us/step - loss: 0.4132
7/7 [==============================] - 0s 701us/step - loss: 0.4132
If I run it with use_dataset = False, I get:
Evaluation:
4/4 [==============================] - 0s 855us/step - loss: 0.4219
7/7 [==============================] - 0s 808us/step - loss: 0.4219
I expected that the two training loops would perform identically. Interestingly, the model performance is identical if I set batch_size = n_examples. The difference seems to be related with the way that batches are handled internally. Why is this happening? Is it a bug or a feature?