MacOS: how to avoid ssl hell on intel mac with Raku?

Viewed 107

Been having major problems today trying to get https://github.com/finanalyst/raku-pod-render installed.

One of the big problems is tests failing that use ssl encryption. See:

https://github.com/grondilu/libdigest-raku/issues/25

https://github.com/jnthn/p6-io-socket-async-ssl/issues/69

And then there's this older issue I submitted back in March: https://github.com/jnthn/p6-ssh-libssh/issues/18

So that's three different modules so far I've had trouble installing on the mac. I've got openssl@1.1 and openssl@3 brew packages installed on my machine.

Any suggestions from other mac users for how I might get this straightened out for good?

1 Answers

While I love macOS for many reasons, I think that it has wondered off the "true north" it used to point for *nix development.

This is true for Intel CPUs and even more so for ARM M CPUs.

So I recommend Docker on ubuntu on vftools on mac:

https://medium.com/carvago-development/my-docker-on-macos-part-1-setup-ubuntu-virtual-machine-both-intel-and-apple-silicon-cpu-5d886af0ebba

So now I can start my ubuntu-vm with docker in the morning and reach for something like:

docker pull --platform linux/arm64 rakudo-star

docker run -it --entrypoint sh -l -c rakudo-star

raku
Related