I have a gridded temperature dataset and a list of weather stations across the country and their latitudes and longitudes. I want to find the grid points that are nearest to the weather stations. My gridded data has coordinates x,y which latitude and longitude are a function of. 
I found that the simplest way of finding the nearest grid point is to first transform the latitude and longitude (Lat, Lon) of the weather stations to x and y values and then find the nearest grid point. I did that for one station (lat= , lon= ) by doing the following:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from netCDF4 import Dataset as netcdf_dataset
import numpy as np
from cartopy import config
import cartopy.crs as ccrs
import cartopy.feature as cfeature
import xarray as xr
import pandas as pd
import netCDF4 as nc
#open gridded data
df=xr.open_dataset('/home/mmartin/LauNath/air.2m.2015.nc')
#open weather station data
CMStations=pd.read_csv('Slope95.csv')
import cartopy.crs as ccrs
# Example - your x and y coordinates are in a Lambert Conformal projection
data_crs = ccrs.LambertConformal(central_longitude=-107.0,central_latitude=50.0,standard_parallels = (50, 50.000001),false_easting=5632642.22547,false_northing=4612545.65137)
# Transform the point - src_crs is always Plate Carree for lat/lon grid
x, y = data_crs.transform_point(-94.5786,39.0997, src_crs=ccrs.PlateCarree())
# Now you can select data
ks=df.sel(x=x, y=y, method='nearest')
How would I apply this to all of the weather stations latitudes and longitudes (Lat,Lon)?