I have 2 tables
df1 = data.frame("dates" = c(seq(as.Date("2020-1-1"), as.Date("2020-1-10"), by = "days")))
df2 = data.frame("observations" = c("a", "b", "c", "d"), "start" = as.Date(c("2019-12-30", "2020-1-1", "2020-1-5","2020-1-10")), "end"=as.Date(c("2020-1-3", "2020-1-2", "2020-1-12","2020-1-14")))
I would like to know the number of observation periods that occur on each day of df1, based on the start/stop dates in df2. E.g. on 1/1/2020, observations a and b were in progress, hence "2".
The expected output would be as follows:
I've tried using sums
df1$number = sum(as.Date(df2$start) <= df1$dates & as.Date(df2$end)>=df1$dates)
But that only sums up the entire column values
I've then tried to create a custom function for this:
df1$number = apply(df1, 1, function(x) sum(df2$start <= x & df2$end>=x))
But it returns an NA value.
I then tried to do embed an "ifelse" within it, but get the same issue with NAs
apply(df1, 1, function(x) sum(ifelse(df2$start <= x & df2$end>=x, 1, 0)))
Can anyone suggest what the issue is? Thanks!
edit: an interval join was suggested which is not what I'm trying to get - I think naming the observations with a numeric label was what caused confusion. I am trying to find out the TOTAL number of observations with periods that fall within the day, as compared to doing a 1:1 match.
Regards Sing
