I have been reading this article on how loess is defined. I'm trying to change the alpha and lambda parameters in the geom_smooth function of the tidyverse. Using a local dataset in R, I have plotted a normal loess using this default code:
#### Load Library ####
library(tidyverse)
#### Plot Default Loess ####
ggplot(iris,
aes(x=Sepal.Width,
y=Sepal.Length))+
geom_point()+
geom_smooth()
Which gives this typical loess plot:
However, I'm not entirely sure how to modify the alpha and lambda. I'm assuming so far that the span argument in geom_smooth is what alters alpha, as seen below:
#### Change Alpha ####
ggplot(iris,
aes(x=Sepal.Width,
y=Sepal.Length))+
geom_point()+
geom_smooth(span = .35)
From the description of alpha in the article, this seems to be correct. As alpha is lowered, fitting the line to more noise is normal. However, I didn't seem to see if lambda could be modified in the same fashion. Is there a way to change this in ggplot, or does one have to find some other manual way?


