I have a form with ~15 fields where each section is a unique child component. I want to know how to pass data between the parent form and child components(using control because this is react native)
Right now, I see the proper value for testResult in onSubmit logs but data is undefined for some reason. This means my parent form is somehow not picking up the value in the child.
Parent Form:
const Stepper = () => {
const form = useForm({ defaultValues: {
testResult: "",
}
});
const { control, handleSubmit, formState: { errors }, } = form;
const testResult = useWatch({ control, name: "testResult" });
const onSubmit = (data) => {
console.log("watched testResult value: ", testResult);
console.log("form submission data: ", data);
};
return (
<WaterStep form={form} />
<Button onSubmit={handleSubmit(onSubmit())} />
)
}
Child component:
const WaterStep = ({ form }) => {
const { control, formState: { errors }, } = form;
return (
<Controller
name="testResult"
control={control}
rules={{
maxLength: 3,
required: true,
}}
render={({ field: onBlue, onChange, value }) => (
<TextInput
keyboardType="number-pad"
maxLength={3}
onBlur={onBlur}
onChangeText={onChange}
value={value}
/>
)}
/>
)}
Here I'm trying the first approach this answer suggests, but I've also tried the second with useFormContext() in child https://stackoverflow.com/a/70603480/8561357
Additionally, must we use control in React Native? The examples that use register appear simpler, but the official docs are limited for React Native and only show use of control
Update: From Abe's answer, you can see that I'm getting undefined because I'm calling onSubmit callback in my submit button. I mistakenly did this because I wasn't seeing any data getting logged when passing onSubmit properly like this handleSubmit(onSubmit). I still think my issue is that my child component's data isn't being tracked properly by the form in parent