Beginner-level questions. I’m creating a counter application (first application from The 7 Tasks). I created this application in one file and it is working fine. Following is the code.
class Application : Gtk.Application {
public int val = 0;
public Application() {
Object(
application_id: "com.github.uname.counter",
flags: ApplicationFlags.FLAGS_NONE
);
}
protected override void activate() {
var window = new Gtk.ApplicationWindow(this);
window.default_height = 30;
window.default_width = 300;
window.title = "Counter";
var grid = new Gtk.Grid();
grid.column_homogeneous = true;
grid.row_homogeneous = true;
grid.row_spacing = 5;
grid.column_spacing = 5;
var entry = new Gtk.Entry();
entry.text = val.to_string();
entry.editable = false;
grid.attach(entry, 0, 0, 1, 1);
var button1 = new Gtk.Button.with_label("Counter");
grid.attach(button1, 1, 0, 1, 1);
button1.clicked.connect (() => {
this.val = this.val + 1;
entry.text = this.val.to_string();
});
window.add(grid);
window.show_all();
}
public static int main(string[] args) {
var application = new Application();
return application.run(args);
}
}
Now, I'm trying to divide the above code into separate files such as Application.vala, Entry.vala, and Button.vala. Here is the code for these files.
Code for Application.vala.
class Application : Gtk.Application {
public int val = 0;
public Application() {
Object(
application_id: "com.github.chauhankiran.counter",
flags: ApplicationFlags.FLAGS_NONE
);
}
protected override void activate() {
var window = new Gtk.ApplicationWindow(this);
window.default_height = 30;
window.default_width = 300;
window.title = "Counter";
var grid = new Gtk.Grid();
grid.column_homogeneous = true;
grid.row_homogeneous = true;
grid.row_spacing = 5;
grid.column_spacing = 5;
var entry = new Entry(val);
grid.attach(entry, 0, 0, 1, 1);
var button1 = new Button(val);
grid.attach(button1, 1, 0, 1, 1);
window.add(grid);
window.show_all();
}
public static int main(string[] args) {
var application = new Application();
return application.run(args);
}
}
Code for Entry.vala.
public class Entry : Gtk.Entry {
public Entry(int val) {
text = val.to_string();
}
construct {
editable = false;
}
}
Code for Button.vala.
public class Button : Gtk.Button {
// Is it correct?
public int val;
public Button(int val) {
this.val = val;
}
construct {
label = "Counter";
}
// How to write this within Button.vala from Application.vala?
// How to get entry widget in this class?
button1.clicked.connect (() => {
this.val = this.val + 1;
entry.text = this.val.to_string();
});
}
Now, I have the following questions.
Entry.valaacceptsvalas initial value. I don't know how to pass it inconstruct. So, I used public object method. Is it correct way?- In
Button.valaI need val as well access to entry so that I can get access to entry in Button.vala? Or this is incorrect way to do the code? If that is that is the case, please suggest correct way. Currently separate files code throws error as I don’t know how to connect and pass the information correctly.