Lua Script function for Wireshark to find answer message

Viewed 27

I'm writing a Lua Script for Wireshark to dissect a private protocol. I'm currently looking for a function which can provide the message number of the answer to the current message.

My protocol is sending requests with a Sequence Number and the answer is containing the same Sequence Number.

Typically I would like to have a function which could return the Message Number of the answer and would return a null value if there is no answer. Something like:

AnswerMessageNumber = Get.MessageNumberWhere(MyProto.AnswerSequenceNumber = MyProto.RequestSequenceNumber)

Thanks for your help!

1 Answers

As of this writing, it's not yet possible to track conversations with Lua, but there is an open Wireshark Issue requesting this feature, namely Add Lua support for tracking conversations. Once implemented, you will be able to track requests/responses with some modifications to your Lua script of course. This issue has been open for at least 3 years though, so unfortunately it seems unlikely to be implemented any time soon.

Related