I've created this dummy dataframe that represents my real data. For simplicity, I've dropped the Time column:
df <- tibble(ID = c(1, 2, 1, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3),
level = c(0, 0, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 0),
n_0 = 4,
n_1 = 0,
n_2 = 0,
n_3 = 0,
previous_level = c(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2))
ID level n_0 n_1 n_2 n_3 previous_level
<dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl>
1 1 0 4 0 0 0 0
2 2 0 4 0 0 0 0
3 1 1 4 0 0 0 0
4 3 2 4 0 0 0 0
5 4 1 4 0 0 0 0
6 1 2 4 0 0 0 1
7 2 3 4 0 0 0 0
8 3 0 4 0 0 0 2
So some words to explain this structure. The actual data comprises only the ID and level column. A specific ID can only have one level, however, this might change over time. All IDs start with level 0. Now I want columns that track how much of my IDs (here in total 4) have levels 0, 1, 2 and 3. Therefore I've already created the count columns. Also, I think a column with previous level might be helpful.
The following table shows the result I'm expecting:
ID level n_0 n_1 n_2 n_3 previous_level
<dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl> <dbl>
1 1 0 4 0 0 0 0
2 2 0 4 0 0 0 0
3 1 1 3 1 0 0 0
4 3 2 2 1 1 0 0
5 4 1 1 2 1 0 0
6 1 2 1 1 2 0 1
7 2 3 0 1 2 1 0
8 3 0 1 1 1 1 2
Is there a sneaky way to do so in R?