Contrary to RestSharp docs, request.AddFile does not accept FileParameter as argument for AddFile. Can't find any docs on how to migrate. Any ideas?

Viewed 220

Ok so here's the C# code that's breaking since I updated RestSharp to the current version:

restRequest.Files.Add((FileParameter)file); // Added cast for clarity

According to the the current official documentation, this is the correct alternative:

restRequest.AddFile((FileParameter)file);

However, that appears to be incorrect, as it throws this exception:

No overload for method 'AddFile' takes 1 arguments

This directly contradicts the RestSharp docs. I haven't been able to find any way to get around this. I tried the overloads that are there but FileParameter no longer contains the Writer property which would be required and I can't find any docs mentioning where that was moved to.

What am I missing?

3 Answers

restRequest.Files is readonly collection so you cannot use that property to add more files.

readonly restsharp collection files

Since the overload restRequest.AddFile((FileParameter)file); is not there in the newer version of restsharp, you can define your own extension method like this:

using RestSharp;

public static class RestRequestExtensions
{
    public static RestRequest AddFile(this RestRequest req, FileParameter f)
    {
        return req.AddFile(f.Name, GetBytes(f.GetFile()), f.FileName, f.ContentType);
    }

    private static byte[] GetBytes(Stream input)
    {
        byte[] buffer = new byte[16 * 1024];
        using (MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream())
        {
            int read;
            while ((read = input.Read(buffer, 0, buffer.Length)) > 0)
            {
                ms.Write(buffer, 0, read);
            }
            return ms.ToArray();
        }
    }
}

Another way:

public static class RestRequestExtensions
{
    public static RestRequest AddFile(this RestRequest req, FileParameter f)
    {
        return req.AddFile(f.Name, ()=>f.GetFile(), f.FileName, f.ContentType);
    }
}

I just came across this issue as well (restsharp 108.0.1) while working with an api integration. I was able to get around the issue by adding my file into the request body.

byte[] fileBytes = File.ReadAllBytes({your filePath});

//request setup...

restRequest.AddBody(fileBytes, {your fileType});

The AddFile(FileParameter) has been marked as internal as commented by @Serg, so request.AddFile(fileParameter); will not work in later version unless they remove the internal modifier again.

As to the Action<Stream> Writer property of FileParameter, now it becomes Func<Stream> GetFile. To specify your own GetFile, you could call this extension method

AddFile(parameterName, getFile, fileName, contentType);

which will call the internal AddFile(FileParameter) using the specified GetFile:

RestRequest.AddFile(FileParameter.Create(name, getFile, fileName, contentType))

It would be a bit confusing that old versions is Action<Stream> where the library will pass the Stream to your Writer and now you need to pass the Stream to the library via GetFile.

Related