I'm not an ML expert and know just a little background about it. I know that there are techniques to reduce the size of neural networks like distillation and pruning. But I don't know how to efficiently perform those techniques.
Now I need to solve a quite practical problem. I'd like to ship FaceNet, the face recognition model, to mobile devices. There might be trade-offs between recognition accuracy and performance + size. I don't know which size of model would fit best my demands. I think I need to test models in many sizes and figure out which one is the best empirically. To do this, I should acquire models in many sizes that are obtained by compressing the pre-trained FaceNet on its website. For example, 30Mb version of FaceNet, 40Mb version of FaceNet, etc.
However, model compression is not free and costs money. I'm worried that I'd do something very stupid and expensive. What is the recommended way to do this? Does this problem have any common solution for not ML expert?