In order to unpack first and second 4 bit chunks from int, I use this approach:
int chunks = 0b1111_1110_1101_1100_1011_1010_1001_1000;
int mask = 0x0f << (Integer.SIZE - 4);
byte result = (byte) ((chunks & mask) >>> (Integer.SIZE - 4));
Integer.toBinaryString(result); //print "1111"
int chunks = 0b1111_1110_1101_1100_1011_1010_1001_1000;
int mask = 0x0f << (Integer.SIZE - 8);
byte result = (byte) ((chunks & mask) >>> (Integer.SIZE - 8));
Integer.toBinaryString(result); //print "1110"
It works great when the int chunks number bit's representation starts from 1 bit.
When I have such number starting from 0000:
int chunks = 0b0000_0110_1101_1100_1011_1010_1001_1000;
int mask = 0x0f << (Integer.SIZE - 4);
byte result = (byte) ((chunks & mask) >>> (Integer.SIZE - 4));
Integer.toBinaryString(result); //print "0"
int chunks = 0b0000_0110_1101_1100_1011_1010_1001_1000;
int mask = 0x0f << (Integer.SIZE - 8);
byte result = (byte) ((chunks & mask) >>> (Integer.SIZE - 8));
Integer.toBinaryString(result); //print "110"
It works great as well.
Is it a best approach from a performance perspective? I feel like I overcomplicated it.