I know it's going to be a silly mistake, and I'm aware that there are similar posts however none have helped so far, so I'm resorting to a new post.
I'm trying to compile the simplest GLFW hello world example.
In my project directory (I'm using vscode) there is a main.cpp file, and the glfw lib file I downloaded from glfw.org which I renamed to libglfw3.a (It's precompiled) I am using a MacBook Air M1.
I'm trying to compile it with this command:
clang -I /opt/homebrew/Cellar/glfw/3.3.7/include -L /Users//projects/ -l libglfw3.a main.cpp -o helloglfw
The output I get is:
ld: library not found for -llibglfw3.a clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
I'm clearly dumb because for the life of me I can't see what I'm doing wrong...
Things I've tried:
- linking to the homebrew version of glfw which contains a .dylib of glfw
- tried linking libglfw3 (without the .a extension)
- compiling to an object file and then linking with ld separately
- using g++
- Not using the -L flag and just pasting the full path into -l
- Praying and restarting the pc just in case.
- Waiting for it to fix itself
Some assistance would be appreciated.