I'm working on a ShinyApp in R where I want to draw hundreds of arrows displayed in an rglwidgetOutput whenever the respective checkbox is selected. However, my screen is freezing for a couple of seconds whenever I select the checkbox and now I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way to draw the arrows.
Here is a minimal example (outside of Shiny):
library(rgl)
mat0 = matrix(rep(1:10,3), ncol = 3) # 1:n to adjust number of points
mat1 = cbind(mat0[,1]*cos(seq(0,2*pi,length = 10)) - mat0[,2] * sin(seq(0,2*pi,length = 10)),
mat0[,1]*sin(seq(0,2*pi,length = 10)) + mat0[,2] * cos(seq(0,2*pi,length = 10)),
mat0[,3])
mat1 = mat1 + 0.5
open3d()
plot3d(mat0[2:9,], aspect = FALSE, axes = FALSE, xlab = "", ylab ="", zlab = "", col = 1)
plot3d(mat1[2:9,], add = TRUE, col = 2)
for(i in 2:9) arrow3d(mat0[i,], mat1[i,], type = "rotation")
All points can be drawn in a single expression (e.g. plot3d(mat0[2:9,]), however to draw the arrows a loop is required. Is there a way to draw all arrows at the same time within a single expression? The arrows have different lengths, orientation and points of origin. Therefore I believe I cannot use the spriteOrigin argument or do I misunderstand this? I have also looked into the vectors3d function from the matlib library but it seems a single point of origin is required. I'm also not sure if the perfomance issue maybe comes from an inefficient design of the server function within my shiny application. A more elaborate example:
library(shiny)
library(rgl)
# Define UI for application
ui <- fluidPage(
# Application title
titlePanel("Test"),
# Sidebar with checkbox
sidebarLayout(
sidebarPanel(
checkboxInput("cb", "Show Arrows", value = FALSE),
),
# Show plot
mainPanel(
rglwidgetOutput(outputId = "threeDPlot", width = "1200px", height = "800px")
)
)
)
# Define server logic
server <- function(input, output) {
#create 3D Plot
output$threeDPlot = renderRglwidget({
rgl.open(useNULL=TRUE)
rgl.bg(color="white")
plot3d(mat0[2:9,], aspect = FALSE, axes = FALSE, xlab = "", ylab = "", zlab = "", col = 1)
plot3d(mat1[2:9,], add = TRUE, col = 2)
if(input$cb == TRUE){
for(i in 2:9) arrow3d(mat0[i,], mat1[i,], type = "rotation")
}
rglwidget()
})
}
#global variables - read only once
mat0 = matrix(rep(1:10,3), ncol = 3)
mat1 = cbind(mat0[,1]*cos(seq(0,2*pi,length = 10)) - mat0[,2] * sin(seq(0,2*pi,length = 10)),
mat0[,1]*sin(seq(0,2*pi,length = 10)) + mat0[,2] * cos(seq(0,2*pi,length = 10)),
mat0[,3])
mat1 = mat1 + 0.5
# Run the application
shinyApp(ui = ui, server = server)
Note: in these examples only 8 arrows are drawn. With ~ 500 arrows the app is freezing for a while, though.



