I am trying to create a template which will add an element to the end of an array (after resizing). I want to specialize it so that if the type is char*, it will include a null byte at the end.
Here is my main:
int main()
{
int* arrI = nullptr;
arrI = insertAtend(arrI, 0, 1); //1
std::cout << arrI[0];
delete[] arrI;
char* arrC = nullptr;
arrC = insertAtend(arrC, 0, 'a'); //a
std::cout << arrC;
delete[] arrC;
return 0;
}
And here are the templates:
template<typename T>
T* insertAtend(T* arr, int size, const T toAdd)
{
T* temp = new T[++size];
if (arr)
{
for (int i = 0; i < size; i++)
{
temp[i] = arr[i];
}
delete[] arr;
}
arr = new T[size + 1];
if (temp)
{
for (int i = 0; i < size; i++)
{
arr[i] = temp[i];
}
}
delete[] temp;
arr[size - 1] = toAdd;
return arr;
}
template<>
char* insertAtend<char*>(char* a, int s, const char* d)
{
return a;
}
Obviously without logic, but I am getting an error:
C2912 "Error C2912 explicit specialization 'char *insertAtend<char>(char *,int,const char *)' is not a specialization of a function template"