I want to build a REST API where user can do operations on objects, based on their permissions. Consider a record that represents a car - it contains the license number, the type of the car and extra information. Also consider the following user system:
- Owners - Who own the
carobject. Can modify it and delete it. - Editors - Who can only modify the object properties.
- Viewers - Can only view the object properties.
Each record can contain multi owners/editors/viewers (The user who created the object should be automatically the owner). Also, owners can add or remove editors/viewers. In my head, I see it as a list of owners/editors/viewers.
So in case of a GET request, I want to be able to return all objects that the user has permissions for, separated into those three categories.
So under my api app, I have the following code:
The models.py file contains:
class CarRecord(models.Model):
type = models.CharField(max_length=50)
license = models.CharField(max_length=50)
The serializers.py file contains:
class CarRecordSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
type = models.CharField(max_length=50)
license = models.CharField(max_length=50)
class Meta:
model = CarRecord
fields = ('__all__')
In view.py I have:
class CarRecordViews(APIView):
def get(self, request):
if not request.user.is_authenticated:
user = authenticate(username=request.data.username, password=request.data.password)
if user is not None:
return Response(data={"error": "invalid username/password"}, status=status.HTTP_401_UNAUTHORIZED)
# return all records of cars that user some type of permission for
Now, I want to get all the records of user that he has permissions to query (along with their permission type). I thought of adding a three extra fields under CarRecord - each one is a list of users that contains that permission type. But I'm not sure if it's the "Django way". So wanted to consult first with SO.
EDIT: I tried to add the following field to my CarRecord class:
owners = models.ManyToManyField(User, related_name='car_owners', verbose_name=('owners'), default=[])
Also I added:
class UserSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
class Meta:
model = User
fields = ['username']
lass CarRecordSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
type = models.CharField(max_length=50)
license = models.CharField(max_length=50)
owners = UserSerializer(many=True)
class Meta:
model = CarRecord
fields = ('__all__')
And the way I create the CarRecordSerializer instance is:
serializer = CarRecordSerializer(data=request.data)
But I get:
{
"error": {
"owners": [
"This field is required."
]
}
}
How to make it work? I guess is my problem is how to serialize a ManyToMany object?
EDIT2: My second attempt is:
class CarRecord(models.Model):
date_created = models.DateTimeField()
type = models.CharField(max_length=50)
license = models.CharField(max_length=50)
owners = models.ManyToManyField(User, related_name='car_owners', verbose_name=('owners'), default=[]))
creator = models.ForeignKey(User,on_delete=models.DO_NOTHING)
# ...
class CarRecordSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
date_created = serializers.DateTimeField(default=datetime.now(timezone.utc))
type = models.CharField(max_length=50)
license = models.CharField(max_length=50)
creator = serializers.StringRelatedField()
owners = serializers.PrimaryKeyRelatedField(many=True,read_only=True)
class Meta:
model = CarRecord
fields = '__all__'
def create(self, validated_data):
self.owners = [self.context['creator']]
record = CarRecord(**validated_data, creator=self.context['creator'])
record.save()
return record
# ...
# In post method:
serializer = CarRecordSerializer(data=request.data, context={ 'creator': user })
But now, in GET method, I filter the owners list with the user and it can't find the objects:
> CarRecord.objects.filter(owners=user)
<QuerySet []>
Also, in the Admin section I see that all of the objects automatically have all the users in the owners/editors/viewers lists. Why is that? Owners should contain only the user that created the record and editors and viewers should be empty lists. In another query, owner can add additional owners/editors/viewers.