I have data in memory, especially strings, that have large numbers of duplicates. We're hitting the ceiling with memory sometimes and are trying to reduce our footprint. I thought that if I froze the strings, then the Ruby runtime would combine them into single objects in memory. So I thought that this code would return a lower number, ideally, 1, but it did not:
a = Array.new(1000) { 'foo'.dup.freeze } # create separate objects, but freeze them
sleep 5 # give the runtime some time to combine the objects
a.map(&:object_id).uniq.size # => 1000
I guess this makes sense, because if there was a reference to the duplicated object (e.g. object id #202), and all of the frozen strings are combined to use #200, then dereferencing #202 will fail. So maybe my question doesn't make sense.
I guess the best strategy for me to save memory might be to convert the strings to symbols. I am aware that they will never be garbage collected, there would be a small enough number of them that this would not be a problem. Is there a better way?