I need to test an async Node.js library which periodically generates events (through EventEmitter) until done. Specifically I need to test data object passed to these events. The following is an example using mocha + chai:
require('mocha');
const { expect } = require('chai');
const { AsyncLib } = require('async-lib');
describe('Test suite', () => {
const onDataHandler = (data) => {
expect(data.foo).to.exist;
expect(data.bar).to.exist;
expect(data.bar.length).to.be.greaterThan(0);
};
it('test 1', async () => {
const asyncLib = new AsyncLib();
asyncLib.on('event', onDataHandler); // This handler should be called/tested multiple times
await asyncLib.start(); // Will generate several 'events' until done
await asyncLib.close();
});
});
The problem is that even in case of an AssertionError, mocha marks the test as passed and the program terminates with exit code 0 (instead of 1 as I expected).
The following uses done callback instead of async syntax, but the result is the same:
require('mocha');
const { expect } = require('chai');
const { AsyncLib } = require('async-lib');
describe('Test suite', () => {
const onDataHandler = (data) => {
expect(data.foo).to.exist;
expect(data.bar).to.exist;
expect(data.bar.length).to.be.greaterThan(0);
};
it('test 1', (done) => {
const asyncLib = new AsyncLib();
asyncLib.on('event', onDataHandler);
asyncLib.start()
.then(asyncLib.close)
.then(() => done());
});
});
I have also tried with a "pure" Node.js approach using the native assert.ok without any 3rd part library:
const { strict: assert } = require('assert');
const { AsyncLib } = require('async-lib');
const test = async () => {
const onDataHandler = (data) => {
assert.ok(data.foo != null);
assert.ok(data.bar != null);
assert.ok(data.bar.length > 0);
};
asyncLib.on('event', onDataHandler);
const asyncLib = new AsyncLib();
await asyncLib.start();
await asyncLib.close();
}
(async () => {
await test();
})();
Even in this case, an AssertionError would make the program to terminate with exit code 0 instead of 1.
How can I properly test this code and make the tests correctly fail in case of an assertion error?