I have a function that uses values stored in one array to operate on another array. This behaves similar to the numpy.hist function. For example:
import numpy as np
from numba import jit
@jit(nopython=True)
def array_func(x, y, output_counts, output_weights):
for row in range(x.size):
col = int(x[row] * 10)
output_counts[col] += 1
output_weights[col] += y[row]
return (output_counts, output_weights)
# in the current code these arrays exists ad pytorch tensors
# on the GPU and get converted to numpy arrays on the CPU before
# being passed to "array_func"
x = np.random.randint(0, 11, (1000)) / 10
y = np.random.randint(0, 100, (10000))
output_counts, output_weights = array_func(x, y, np.zeros(y.size), np.zeros(y.size))
While this works for arrays it does not work for torch tensors that are on the GPU. This is close to what histogram functions do, but I also need the summation of binned values (i.e., the output_weights array/tensor). The current function requires me to continually pass the data from GPU to CPU, followed by the CPU function being run in series.
Can this function be converted to run in parallel on the GPU?
##EDIT##
The challenge is caused by the following line:
output_weights[col] += y[row]
If it weren't for that line I could just use the torch.histc function.
Here's my thought: GPUs are "fast" because they have hundreds/thousands of threads available and can run parts of a big job (or many smaller jobs) on these threads. However, if I convert the function above to work on torch tensors then there is no benefit to running on the GPU (it actually kills the performance). I wonder if there is a way I can break of x so each value gets sent to different threads (similar to how apply_async does within multiprocessing)?
I'm open to other options.
In it's current form the function is fast, but the GPU-to-CPU data transfer is killing me.