Permission to ORG/REPO denied to USER

Viewed 19

I am getting Permission to ORG/REPO denied to USER just recently whenever I try and push commits to github, where USER is not me! I can't even find that USER anywhere in ~/.gitconfig or ~/.git-credentials.

I checked my ~/.ssh folder as well to double check if my keys got compromised. I even grepped for USER everywhere to no avail.

Where is that coming from? Like I'd have expected USER to be my account not someone else. I checked that USER on github and they're one of the contributors in one repository that I contribute to. But I was pushing to a different repository they have no access to.

1 Answers

where USER is not me

That points to an HTTPS URL, with the wrong credentials cached in it:

git config --global credential.helper
xxx
# replace xxx with the value returned by git config
printf "host=github.com\nprotocol=https"| git credential-xxx get

To remove the wrong user:

printf "host=github.com\nprotocol=https\nusername=WrongUser"| git credential-xxx erase
Related