I work on mereology and I wanted to prove that a given theorem (Extensionality) follows from the four axioms I had.
This is my code:
Require Import Classical.
Parameter Entity: Set.
Parameter P : Entity -> Entity -> Prop.
Axiom P_refl : forall x, P x x.
Axiom P_trans : forall x y z,
P x y -> P y z -> P x z.
Axiom P_antisym : forall x y,
P x y -> P y x -> x = y.
Definition PP x y := P x y /\ x <> y.
Definition O x y := exists z, P z x /\ P z y.
Axiom strong_supp : forall x y,
~ P y x -> exists z, P z y /\ ~ O z x.
And this is my proof:
Theorem extension : forall x y,
(exists z, PP z x) -> (forall z, PP z x <-> PP z y) -> x = y.
Proof.
intros x y [w PPwx] H.
apply Peirce.
intros Hcontra.
destruct (classic (P y x)) as [yesP|notP].
- pose proof (H y) as [].
destruct H0.
split; auto.
contradiction.
- pose proof (strong_supp x y notP) as [z []].
assert (y = z).
apply Peirce.
intros Hcontra'.
pose proof (H z) as [].
destruct H3.
split; auto.
destruct H1.
exists z.
split.
apply P_refl.
assumption.
rewrite <- H2 in H1.
pose proof (H w) as [].
pose proof (H3 PPwx).
destruct PPwx.
destruct H5.
destruct H1.
exists w.
split; assumption.
Qed.
I’m happy with the fact that I completed this proof. However, I find it quite messy. And I don’t know how to improve it. (The only thing I think of is to use patterns instead of destruct.) It is possible to improve this proof? If so, please do not use super complex tactics: I would like to understand the upgrades you will propose.