React and Bootstrap Best Practices (how should I design my website)

Viewed 137

I am making my first ever website in React. I want to use Bootstrap's grid system, but I don't really know when I should use this or rather how extensively.

Is the grid system best in places like App.js and in each individual component? Just in each individual component? Just in App.js?

2 Answers

We can use plain bootstrap to use grid system. We have to use it inside most of the component according to the requirement to make is responsive.

Easy Option: There are other options to use bootstrap inside react like component libraries. You can use either Reactstrap or React-Bootstrap. These libraries provide components by which you can easily create website with react and power of bootstrap.

I use React-Bootstrap. I've found it very simple to get going with, and the intellisense you get in VS Code is great.

To get started, just:

npm install react-bootstrap

You can see a list of all of the components here.

Then you just add the components that you want to use to your import.

import {
  Navbar,
  Container,
  Nav,
  NavbarBrand,
  Row,
  Col,
  {...}
} from "react-bootstrap";

Then in your rendered output, for example:

return (
      <Container>
        <Navbar>
          <NavbarBrand>Brand</NavbarBrand>
          <Navbar.Collapse>
            <Nav>
              <NavItem>Item 1</NavItem>
            </Nav>
          </Navbar.Collapse>
        </Navbar>
        <Row>
          <Col md={4}>
          </Col>
          <Col md={4}>
          </Col>
          <Col md={4}>
          </Col>
        </Row>
      </Container>
    );

Related