I want to connect to a remote SQL Server from WSL2, but I keep getting errors for some reason. I tried connecting using my Windows Host machine without any problem.
~/.odbc.ini
[MSSQLTest]
Description=Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server
Driver=/opt/microsoft/msodbcsql17/lib64/libmsodbcsql-17.9.so.1.1
server=tcp:server,port
Database=Databasename
Trusted_Connection=yes
TrustServerCertificate=yes
uid=username@domain.com
pwd=password
odbcinst -j
unixODBC 2.3.7
DRIVERS............: /etc/odbcinst.ini
SYSTEM DATA SOURCES: /etc/odbc.ini
FILE DATA SOURCES..: /etc/ODBCDataSources
USER DATA SOURCES..: /home/test/.odbc.ini
SQLULEN Size.......: 8
SQLLEN Size........: 8
SQLSETPOSIROW Size.: 8
Errors
test@Desktop:/mnt/c/Users/test$ isql -v mssqltest
[S1000][unixODBC][Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server]SSPI Provider: No Kerberos credentials available (default cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1000)
[S1000][unixODBC][Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server]Cannot generate SSPI context
I tried several different changes in the DSN, but none worked. The only thing that changed was the error messages. Then I tried installing mssql-tools to use sqlcmd, but I got similar errors.
Errors
test@DESKTOP:/mnt/c/Users/test$ sqlcmd -S server -U domain\\username -P password -G
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : SSL Provider: [error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:self signed certificate].
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : Client unable to establish the connection.
I have no idea what the error above means.
test@DESKTOP:/mnt/c/Users/test$ sqlcmd -S server@example.com -U domain\username -P password -G Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : SSL Provider: [error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:self signed certificate]. Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : Client unable to establish connection.
I get a similar error. If I change something in the DSN, I get an error stating No kerberos credentials available (default cache: FIEL:/tmp/krb5cc_1000). Cannot generate SSPI context.
I looked up and tried many different solutions suggested on SO and other sites, but I can't seem to get it working. I can, however, ping the server.
Why is it doing this? Why does my connection work from my Windows Host machine but not WSL? What am I missing?