What is the purpose of desc in Fluentd?

Viewed 22

I'm writing a fluentd plugin and came across desc. From the docs I see that it means describe.

desc 'Postgres username'
config_param :user, :string

desc 'Postgres password'
config_param :password, :string, :secret => true 

Take a look at the example above. I'm curious if desc is ever used by Fluentd Engine? Because when I run fluentd from a config file I don't see desc being used anywhere, at-least from the output I see. What is the purpose of this? Why not use comments instead?

Another example of desc being used is shown here.

1 Answers

desc is a parameter typical in ruby DSLs as is commonly found in rake or Rspec for example. You're writing a plugin which I assume is to be used in conjunction with fluentd. A simple search yields results such as .erb files which render string/text data. This is one example of where such parameters could be used.

Looking at this answer may also provide more insight.

Related