I've configured an API Management policy to retry to a second region if the first encounters an error.
However, when I disable the primary function app, based in Sydney, there are no retries recorded in Application insights - only the original failing request. There are no function calls recorded in the Melbourne function app.
I've tried a bunch of different configurations. Both region function apps are running fine.
I've got the copied the code below, is there something that I'm missing or not understanding?
Thanks in advance
API Policy
<policies>
<inbound>
<base />
<choose>
<when condition="@(context.Variables.GetValueOrDefault<int>('RetryCounter', 0) == 0)">
<set-backend-service base-url="{{syndey-function-app}}" />
</when>
<otherwise>
<set-backend-service base-url="{{melbourne-function-app}}" />
</otherwise>
</choose>
</inbound>
<backend>
<retry count="1" interval="0" first-fast-retry="true" condition="@(
context.Response.StatusCode > 400
)">
<set-variable name="RetryCounter" value="@(context.Variables.GetValueOrDefault<int>('RetryCounter', 0) + 1)" />
<forward-request buffer-request-body="true" timeout="15"/>
</retry>
</backend>
<outbound>
<base />
</outbound>
<on-error>
<base />
</on-error>
</policies>
403 Error Response
<h1 id="unavailable">Error 403 - This web app is stopped.</h1>
<p id="tryAgain">
The web app you have attempted to reach is currently stopped and does not
accept any requests. Please try to reload the page or visit it again soon.
</p>
<p id="toAdmin">
If you are the web app administrator, please find the common 403 error
scenarios and resolution <a href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2095007"
target="_blank">here</a>. For further troubleshooting tools and recommendations,
please visit <a href="https://portal.azure.com/">Azure Portal</a>.
</p>




