I am reading the book Algorithms by Sedgewick and Wayne of Princeton, and it presents a BST deletion method for BSTMaps.
public void deleteMin()
{
root = deleteMin(root);
}
private Node deleteMin(Node x)
{
if (x.left == null) return x.right;
x.left = deleteMin(x.left);
x.N = size(x.left) + size(x.right) + 1;
return x;
}
public void delete(Key key)
{
root = delete(root, key);
}
private Node delete(Node x, Key key)
{
if (x == null) return null;
int cmp = key.compareTo(x.key);
if (cmp < 0) x.left = delete(x.left, key);
else if (cmp > 0) x.right = delete(x.right, key);
else
{
if (x.right == null) return x.left;
if (x.left == null) return x.right;
Node t = x;
x = min(t.right); // <----This would cause infinite loop
x.right = deleteMin(t.right);
x.left = t.left;
}
x.N = size(x.left) + size(x.right) + 1;
return x;
}
It turns out to be a famous algorithm called eager Hibbard deletion, which is also presented in this link.
As the code is in Java, I tried to implement it myself. But it causes infinite loop because of a reference problem. If x is pointed to the successor, and x.left is updated, then the deleteMin method will not only delete the original node, but go through the new left branch to delete the min of the other half of the tree.
This can be bypassed by copying the values and keys of min(t.right) instead of just use '=', and the t node would be unnecessary.
But my question is: is the code in the book (and the webpage) just blatantly wrong? It is hard to conceive since this is a well-received book at its 4th edition.
Here's an example that reproduces the problem.
BSTMap<String, Integer> bstmap = new BSTMap<>();
bstmap.put("hello", 5);
bstmap.put("cat", 10);
bstmap.put("fish", 22);
bstmap.put("zebra", 90);
Integer rm = bstmap.remove("dog");
Integer rm2 = bstmap.remove("hello");
The tree was originally:
┌────────┐
┌──┤ hello ├────────┐
│ └────────┘ │
│ │
┌──┴───┐ ┌───┴────┐
│ cat ├─┐ │ zebra │
└──────┘ │ └────────┘
┌───┴───┐
│ fish │
└───────┘
The delete ('remove' in my code) is supposed to promote 'zebra' when 'hello' is deleted. But after assigning 'zebra'.left to 'cat', the deleteMin method will delete 'cat' instead of 'zebra' itself, causing 'zebra' to point to itself.
Thanks for the help, everyone. I think I find the problem. I thought I got exactly the same code, but actually
x.right = deleteMin(t.right);
x.left = t.left;
I got these two lines in reverse, which caused the problem.
It's unbelievable that I looked at the code for so long and did not find the difference. I changed the variable names even...